Sociology & Political Science
Political Science Scholarships and Awards
Senior Award in Political Science
An award presented to a Political Science major with senior classification who demonstrates excellence in their academic career at Tennessee Tech. Recipients receive a cash award and a certificate. The Senior Award for Political Science is considered the department's highest award for political science majors.
For more information contact: Dr. Lori Maxwell
The Paul G. Stephenson Scholarship Endowment
Paul Stephenson, first chairperson of Political Science, is considered a "quiet institution" by the faculty, who established an endowment in his honor. Stephenson, retired, joined the faculty in 1964, the same year Tennessee Tech began offering a major in Political Science.
The scholarship is awarded to a Political Science major at the end of his/her junior year.
- Must be a full-time student majoring in POLS
- Will normally have the highest overall GPA of any Political Science major at the end of his/her junior year.
- May receive additional consideration for other factors such as extracurricular activities and financial needs.
The Judy and Michael Gunter Initiative
The family of Judy and Michael Gunter choose to endow this lasting Initiative so that Judy could continue to give. They also suggest that her many friends pay forward an act of kindness now or in the future to someone or something they know with need of assistance or by contributing to this lasting Initiative. It is the donor's preference that the scholarship be awarded initially to an incoming freshman. It is also a preference that individuals receiving this award should show true "initiative" toward their pursuit of a political science degree at the University. To determine this, the administering office may consult with high school guidance counselors and/or the Department Chair/faculty of the Department of Sociology and Political Science.
Any student who meets the following criteria will be eligible to receive a scholarship through this endowment:
- Must be a regularly admitted or current student in good standing in accordance with current institutional policies.
- Must be majoring in political science.
- Must have and maintain a 3.0 GPA.
- Must have financial need.
The scholarship is renewable provided the student meets the criteria and funding is available